Jason Thompson — A Biography
Jason Craig Thompson was born and raised in Alberta, Canada. He was discovered by a modeling agent while working at a restaurant in High School. It wasn’t long before he was walking the runways in Europe, and adding print and commercial work to his résumé.
Despite traveling extensively around the world and having steady work, acting was never far from Jason’s thoughts. Thompson decided a move to Los Angeles might help him manifest an acting career and quickly began learning his new chosen trade. Theater work followed.
In 2000, Jason landed the role of Miles on Undressed, Paul on Zoe, Duncan, Jack & Jane, Jordan on Felicity, and Sam in Wishmaster 4: The Prophecy Fulfilled. It was the role of neurosurgeon Dr. Patrick Drake on General Hospital, the son of Dr. Noah Drake played by singer Rick Springfield, that placed Jason Thompson front and center.
Thompson garnered 5 Emmy nominations for his portrayal of Patrick. He added more credits while working in Port Charles such as Hit Factor, Castle, and 90210. In 2007, he did double duty and played the good doctor on the nighttime version of GH, General Hospital: Night Shift.
In 2016, Jason made the move from playing one fan-favorite character to another, taking over the role of Billy Abbott at The Young and the Restless. It wasn’t easy. Billy Miller has won over critics and fans alike for his version of the iconic role, but Billy Miller wasn’t selfish with his advice and generosity that he extended to Jason when he took over the role.
Jason has found his groove as Billy Abbott and won over the fans. When he isn’t navigating troubled waters in Genoa City, Jason is writing and making music. And he is a successful businessman! Thompson owns three pubs, Redstar, The Bower, and Lock Stock Coffee, with two childhood buddies, Blair Junior McFarlane and Sal Di Maio.
Although he travels to Canada often, Jason resides in Los Angeles with his lovely wife Paloma Jonas and their two children, son Bowie Banjo and daughter Rome Coco.
The Young and the Restless (YR) airs weekdays on CBS. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Genoa City, check out all the latest that’s been posted on Y&R spoilers.
- November 20, 1976 — Birthdate
- He was discovered by a model scout, Kelly Streit while working at a restaurant in Edmonton.
- Well-known for three TV Commercials directed by Pedro Romhanyi in 1999: “Everybody in Cords”, “Everybody in Leather” and “Everybody in Vests.”
- He performed a song that he wrote, “Sailor Short on Wind,” in character as Patrick Drake during the Sept. 23, 2015, episode of General Hospital.
- On April 1, 2015, for General Hospital’s 52nd Anniversary show, Thompson portrayed original character Steve Hardy in a flashback.
- Name People Magazine’s Sexiest Soap Star in 2007.
- Has two children with wife Paloma Jonas. Son, Bowie Banjo Thompson, born May 23, 2016, and daughter, Rome Coco Thompson, born September 20, 2017.