When it comes to General Hospital, every fan has their own opinion – and Soap Hub is no different. For five days, we sat and watched the good, the bad, and everything in between, and now we offer you a handy review, and a cheeky critique, of the GH week that was.
General Hospital: The Critic’s POV
Admittedly there was nowhere near the progress seen in last week’s offerings, but I’m not exactly ready to write off the new sub-writers.
The canvas is enlivened with the quantity and quality of the interactions being had between the characters. When was the last time that the likes of Kristina (Kate Mansi) and Michael (Chad Duell) in a scene together? Ditto squabbling semi-kin Kristina and Josslyn (Eden McCoy)?
Jeff Kober [Cyrus Renault] and Genie Francis’s [Laura Collins] interaction during the former’s sojourn into purgatory was *chef’s kiss*, and Francis’s epic eye-roll and delivery of “Whatever” upon being informed that her aura helped her brother connect with God was pitch perfect.
And even though I’m tempted to decry the amount of screentime devoted to that princely named plushy, I can appreciate the moments had between the NuDavis sisters and NuMolly (Brooke Anne Smith) and Alexis (Nancy Lee Grahn). (If there’s one way to endear us to a recast — or two — it’s to play them opposite their character’s parent.)
I also couldn’t help but crack up over “Neddie” (Wally Kurth) hurling “nagging” and “uptight shrew” at Olivia (Lisa LoCicero) because I finally felt seen by someone on the writing staff.
Further GH Musings
* Between the obvious recognition of each other’s names and the pointed looks and the even sharper dialogue, it’s clear that Cyrus and Austin (Roger Howarth) are much more than doctor and patient…but what’s the connection? Inquiring minds want to know.
* I concede that Tracy (Jane Elliot) and Gregory (Gregory Harrison) make a fine pair, but what’s the endgame? A triangle between Miss Quartermaine, Alexis, and a terminally ill Romeo?
And speaking of things making me go “huh,”…. why is Tracy still expecting Brook Lynn (Amanda Setton) to snoop around Deception for her? Brook Lynn made it ABUNDANTLY clear that she was no longer Granny’s inside woman and Tracy touted that she had another ace up her sleeve. What gives?
* My, my, my what difference a recast makes. When Haley Pullos and Lexi Ainsworth carried the mantels of Molly and Kristina they were trotted out the mothballs about once every third month, but now you can’t watch a single episode without NuKristina and/or NuNu Molly popping up.
I will say that I’m genuinely appreciative that GH seems to be steering Krissy far, far away from the surrogacy storyline. Good call guys, good call.
* Now, what I heard Michael say was, “Nina keeps crossing the line,” but all I could think was, “Have you never met your own mother? Line crossing is an art form for her!” Again, I humbly submit to you that Carly and Nina are literally different sides of the same coin.
* What a pleasure it was to see Vernee Watson [Aunt Stella] again. Here’s hoping her pep talk will do its job and snap Curtis (Donnell Turner) out of his unappealing, pathetic state.
General Hospital airs weekdays on ABC. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Port Charles, check out all the latest GH spoilers, and for an in-depth look at the show’s history, click here.
For more about what’s happening on your favorite soaps, join the conversation over on our Facebook Page, check out our Twitter feed, or look for an update on our Instagram stories. See you over there!