When it comes to General Hospital, every fan has their own opinion – and Soap Hub is no different. For five days, we sat and watched the good, the bad, and everything in between, and now we offer you a handy review, and a cheeky critique, of the GH week that was.
General Hospital: The Critic’s POV
General Hospital happenings that left my mouth agape: Eileen (Heather Mazur) copping to being Victor’s (Charles Shaughnessy) lover as well as his lackey — that sure did come out of nowhere; all that discussion about Victor not being able to *ahem* rise to the occasion; the return of the seemingly forsaken plot thread that was Selena (Lydia Look) dosing Victor; and Laura’s (Genie Francis) genuine lack of concern that bare armed and bare legged Ace was about to be taken down to a dank parking garage.
I’d also have most likely gasped at Dex’s (Evan Hoffer) and Sonny’s (Maurice Benard) end-of-the-week predicament had the moment not already been spoiled for me a few days prior. The perils of being a soap journalist.
Further GH Musings
* As a soap opera fan, I’m constantly suspending disbelief, but I am really struggling to concede the concept that General Hospital — the titular medical center itself, not the show — is a mere 60 years old — and I have been ever since it was put forth in 2019.
* I’m not asking for much, just for one episode devoted solely to the Three Company-esque shenanigans of Lucy (Lynn Herring), Valentin (James Patrick Stuart), and Anna (Finola Hughes) — “guest starring” Martin (Michael E. Knight), Felicia (Kristina Wagner), and Robert (Tristan Rogers), of course.
Speaking of Lucy, I get that the loony broad is an acquired taste, but I personally find her to be a hoot and a half — though I do miss that slightly harder edge that the character initially possessed.
* It’s nice seeing Mac (John J. York) and Cody (Josh Kelly) bond and all, but perhaps it would mean a bit more to, oh I don’t know, actually see Mac and Kevin (Jon Lindstrom) dealing with the fallout of the Mac putting Ryan (Jon Lindstrom) down like a rabid dog…just a thought.
* Oh Gladys (Bonnie Burroughs), you make it so hard to like you sometimes.
* Olivia (Lisa LoCicero) is still all kinds of awful…good to know.
* Storylines that I’m desperate to see wrapped: Marshall’s (Robert Gossett) misdiagnoses, Mason’s (Nathanyael Grey) endgame, Liesl (Kathleen Gati) and Scott’s (Kin Shriner) estrangement, Drew’s (Cameron Mathison) and Carly’s (Laura Wright) SCC BS, and Nina (Cynthia Watros) and Carly’s feud.
The latter has grown more than stale, and I’m hoping against hope that Nina will take the high road and forgo using her newly acquired knowledge regarding Drew and Carly’s insider trading. I don’t think that’s actually what is going to happen, but Lord do I hope.
General Hospital airs weekdays on ABC. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Port Charles, check out all the latest GH spoilers, and for an in-depth look at the show’s history, click here.
For more about what’s happening on your favorite soaps, join the conversation over on our Facebook Page, check out our Twitter feed, or look for an update on our Instagram stories. See you over there!