Max Gail has been turning in one heck of an acting tour-de-force as General Hospital’s Mike Corbin, a recast character diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease.
In the process, he’s become beloved to GH fans who never knew of his earlier work in primetime and movies during his prolific career.
Here are 10 fascinating facts you may not know about this talented performer!
1. He’s best known for his Emmy-nominated run as Detective Stan “Wojo” Wojciehowicz on the ABC sitcom Barney Miller.
2. General Hospital isn’t Gail’s first soap opera! In 2007, he played the short-term role of Merle, a hippie who gave aid to Belle (Martha Madison) and Shawn (Brandon Beemer).
3. Gail made his acting debut in a stage production of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in San Francisco. His first TV role was as a patrolman on Ironside.
4. In addition to performing on Barney Miller, Gail also directed episodes of the series using the name “Maxwell Gail”.
5. In the 2013 film 42 (about Jackie Robinson’s first two years as a member of the Dodgers), Gail played baseball team manager Burt Shotton.
6. Gail has a twin sister named Mary Gail.
7. Gail has three children, two daughters (India and Grace), and a son (Maxwell).
8. After Barney Miller, Gail starred in the series Whiz Kids. He played an investigative reporter named Llewellan Farley, Jr, who befriended a group of teen computer experts. Longtime soap star, A Martinez, also appeared in the series.
9. In 1979, when he was appearing on Barney Miller, the athletic Gail represented ABC on the nighttime show Battle of the Network Stars.
10. In 1990, Gail was cast as the TV husband of Cindy Williams (Laverne & Shirley) in the series Normal Life, which starred Dweezil Zappa and Moon Unit Zappa.
General Hospital (GH) airs weekdays on ABC. Check your local listings for airtimes.