The ongoing saga between Jussie Smollett and the city of Chicago isn’t stopping anytime soon. The Empire star had all 16 felony charges dropped against him last month after he was arrested for allegedly staging his own hate crime, but many people in Chicago still believe he’s guilty.
The Mayor of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel, and the Chicago Police Superintendent, Eddie Johnson, have made it very clear they’re disappointed in the prosecutors who dropped the charges, but the city of Chicago is reportedly suing the actor for $130,000 to pay for the cost of the investigation.
However, on Thursday, April 5, Smollett’s attorney Mark Geragos sent a letter to the city of Chicago in which he suggested they would sue back, according to the Chicago Tribune.
“Your letter constitutes part of a course of conduct intended to harass and irreparably injure Mr. Smollett. As explained below, your letter is both factually and legally flawed and Mr. Smollett will not be intimidated into paying the demanded sum,” he said.
“Mr. Smollett vehemently denies making any false statements. Your claim that Smollett filed a false police report and orchestrated his own attack is false and defamatory.”
He continued, “In light of their apparent vested interest in the matter, we are confident that Mayor Emanuel and Superintendent Johnson will not object to providing their testimony under oath. Mr. Smollett’s preference remains, however, that this matter be closed and that he be allowed to move on with his life.”
Geragos also said if they end up suing Smollett, he would demand they release the entire police investigation. Ultimately, it looks like this isn’t the last we’ve heard from Smollett or the city of Chicago.