Peter Bergman — A Biography
A Navy brat, Peter was born Peter Michael Bergman in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. It wasn’t until high school that Peter had an inkling that he might want to be an actor. He was an athlete, who was considering majoring in English when he stumbled into a theater class.
His defining moment happened during a thespian competition in the 11th grade, another classmate blew him away with his performance and he decided he wanted to be that good.
After graduation, Bergman headed to New York and auditioned for the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and nailed it. In 1976, he snagged a two-part role on Kojak but he really wanted more steady work. He didn’t enjoy pounding the pavement and worrying about his next paycheck.
In 1979, Peter landed the role of Dr. Cliff Warner on All My Children. He thought it was going to be a temporary thing but his character resonated with fans and critics alike and when the writers paired him with Nina, his popularity soared. He continued to portray the doctor until 1989.
His sadness about leaving the character and Pine Valley behind, turned to joy when Melody Thomas Scott suggested that he might be a good replacement for the newly departed Terry Lester who portrayed Jack Abbott on The Young and the Restless and the powers that be agreed.
Peter quickly made the role of Jack his own. Almost 30 years later, with multiple award nominations, 3 Emmy wins, and Bergman is still cranking out front-burner storylines. Not bad for someone who thought he would be teaching English.
Peter and his wife, Mariellen, enjoy their home by the beach near Newport Beach, California. He stays at their condo in Los Angeles when he’s working. Their two adult children, Connor and Clare, reside in Los Angeles.
The Young and the Restless (YR) airs weekdays on CBS. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Genoa City, check out all the latest that’s been posted on Y&R spoilers.
- June 11, 1953 — Birthdate
- Is the son of a U.S. Naval officer.
- Worked in construction for a year to earn money to attend the American Academy of Dramatic Arts.
- In 1979, joined All My Children as Dr. Cliff Warner, a role he played for 10 years.
- Starred in a commercial for a cough syrup with the line “I’m not a doctor, but I play one on TV”, circa 1986.
- Received 12 consecutive Daytime Emmy Award nominations (from 1990 to 2002) for Outstanding Lead Actor for his role as Jack Abbott on The Young and the Restless.