There’s a new heavy on The Young and the Restless, and Desperate Housewives vet Richard Burgi is playing him. He debuts as cutthroat business mogul Ashland Locke on March 11 and is guaranteed to take Genoa City by storm.
Richard Burgi — Learn More
Want some intel on Richard Burgi? Here are seven things to know about the veteran soap star.
1. The Montclair, NJ native comes from a musical family. His dad was a drummer; his mom was a singer; and his older brother, Chuck, is a rock drummer who has played with Billy Joel, Hall & Oats, Meat Loaf, and others.
2. Burgi decided to go the acting route as a youth when he began participating in community theater.
3. He has an extensive soap opera past, having appeared on numerous shows. He played Chad Rollo on Another World (1986-1988); Glenn Harrington on As the World Turns (1989); Philip Collier on Days of our Lives (1992-1993); and Paul Hornsby General Hospital (2015-2016).
4. One of Burgi’s most notable gigs was as one of the leads in The Sentinel (1996-1999). He played detective James Ellison in the series, which ran for three seasons. The show’s cancellation caused quite a stir because it left key plot points unresolved. A successful fan campaign brought about additional episodes that wrapped up the story.
5. He’s also known for playing Teri Hatcher’s ex-husband on Desperate Housewives. He was Karl Mayer to her Susan Mayer for several seasons. The recurring gig lasted from 2004 to 2012.
6. Burgi has an impressive film past, too. In 2004, he starred in the thriller Cellular. He also appeared in the 2005 Jim Carrey comedy Fun with Dick and Jane, and played Toni Collette’s boyfriend in In Her Shoes the same year. And in 2007 he was cast in the horror film Hostel: Part II.
7. The actor has been wed twice. His first marriage to Lori Kahn produced two sons, Jack and Sam. He’s currently married to Liliana Lopez, who he tied the knot with, in February 2012. The Young and the Restless (YR) airs weekdays on CBS. Check your local listings for airtimes.