After a nearly four-decade run as Hope Williams Brady, Kristian Alfonso is exiting Days of our Lives. Unwilling to accept being pulled from the show for five months, before being brought back for a new storyline, the actress has decided to move on from the NBC soap.
Farewell Kristian Alfonso
Salem without Alfonso, one of the show’s most popular actresses, is going to be hard to imagine. Here are five things we’ll miss about Hope.
Bo, Where Are You?
1. First and foremost, Alfonso’s pending departure means fans will not only be losing Hope, but also all hope of an onscreen reunion with Peter Reckell. Since Bo’s death in 2015, viewers have been clamoring for the character to somehow return from the dead. After all, Dr. Rolf’s secret serum has already worked its resurrection magic on other Salemites. So why not Bo at some point? But with Alfonso off the canvas, a Bo and Hope reunion will never be.
2. Hope has long been the character that ties key Salem clans together. She’s the granddaughter of Tom and Alice Horton, and the daughter of Addie and Doug Williams (Bill Hayes). She was wed to Bo Brady, the son of Caroline (Peggy McCay), and Victor Kiriakis (John Aniston), who was raised by Shawn Brady (Frank Parker). She walked into a scene and instantly everyone was connected. With her gone, that bond will be lost.
A Lonely Cop Shop
3. Alfonso’s exit means another cop permanently out at the Salem PD. Roman (Josh Taylor) left to tend bar at Brady Pub. Abe (James Reynolds) moved on to serve as mayor. Rafe will be leaving the department, once Galen Gering exits the show. The Cop Shop already isn’t the powerful force it used to be, and it will be weakened even further once Hope permanently splits town.
JOIN SOAPHUB INSIDER: Dive deeper into what you love!
Days of our Lives Won’t Be The Same
4. DAYS has done a good job of displaying strong female friendships, and there have been none better than Hope’s with her cousin, Jennifer (Melissa Reeves), and sister-in-law, Kayla (Mary Beth Evans). Over the years, they’ve shared heart-to-heart talks, given each other advice, and provided strong shoulders for each other to lean on. Those special heartfelt moments between them will be missed.
A Father-Daughter Duo
5. How sad is it that there will be no more father-daughter scenes between Alfonso and Bill Hayes, who plays her devoted dad, Doug? Their genuine off-screen love for each other radiated in every scene they ever shared. It was real and palpable. In fact, it may just be the best parent-child relationship DAYS has ever had. It’s sad to know that “Daddy” and his “Princess” moments will no longer be. Days of our Lives (DOOL) airs weekdays on NBC. Check your local listings for airtimes.