When it comes to The Bold and the Beautiful, every fan has their own opinion – and Soap Hub is no different. For five days, we sat and watched the good, the bad, and everything in between, and now we offer you a handy review, and a cheeky critique, of B&B’s week that was.
The Bold and the Beautiful: A Critic’s Week In Review
Sometime between last Wednesday and Thursday, it struck me, almost like a ton of bricks, that The Bold and the Beautiful has not one, but two storylines that hinge on an inappropriate kiss. It’s 2022, and the best this soap can come up with is, “You’ve been smooching somebody that you shouldn’t and I’m going to tell!”
It’s also become patently obvious that this soaps characters – and quite possibly its writers – need to reevaluate their understanding of the phrase, “worse scandal.”
Sure, as scandals go, Brooke Logan Forrester (Katherine Kelly Lang) slept with her daughter’s husband and gave birth to his child, is pretty bad. But you know what scandal I’d term the “worst”? Stephanie Douglas Forrester getting herself knocked up by Massimo Marone, lying to Eric Forrester (John McCook) that he was the baby’s father and getting him to marry her despite knowing that he was in love with another woman.
As it is, Steffy’s “I Never Knew Which Man Impregnated Me” Finnegan (Jacqueline MacInnes Wood) doesn’t have much moral high ground to stand on, and her Forrester vs Logan argument really doesn’t hold much weight when you realize she’s not even technically a Forrester.
And speaking of moral high ground, who does Grace Buckingham (Cassandra Creech) think she is? I can now see where Zoe Buckingham got her crazy from. Both of Grace’s children are fast little things, content with obsessing over and moving on from man to man, and this woman thinks that she has the right to tell Carter Walton (Lawrence Saint-Victor) what to do in his personal life?
If that man had a modicum of intelligence – which past Bold and Beautiful stories tell me he’s not – he’d have shown Grace and her trifling self out the door and warned Paris Buckingham (Diamond White) that her mama is trying to run her life for her.
Further B&B Musings
* First, we had to watch/listen to a maudlin Brooke worry to Liam Spencer (Scott Clifton) and Hope Logan Spencer (Annika Noelle) that her marriage to Ridge Forrester (Thorsten Kaye) would be over should Douglas Forrester (Henry Joseph Samiri) spill her New Year’s Eve secret. Then we had to watch/listen to the same circular dialogue between mother and daughter in the next episode.
A brief respite followed, during which we had to watch/listen to Brooke wonder for the umpteenth time why she craved alcohol on New Year’s Eve; but then it was two more days of, ” Woe is me, my husband must never find out I kissed another man, especially from our truth-telling grandson.” ENOUGH IS ENOUGH THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL!
* First, we had to watch/listen to Douglas explain to Thomas Forrester (Matthew Atkinson) that Brooke was kissing, “mommy’s daddy.” Then we were forced to watch/listen as Thomas relayed what his son said to Steffy. And then, we had to suffer/watch/listen as Steffy interrogated the little boy and made him relive the whole damn night all over again for the umpteenth time. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH B&B!
* Has Sheila Carter (Kimberlin Brown), and The Bold and the Beautiful writers, forgotten all about her endgame…her very reasoning for pushing Brooke – HARD – off the sobriety wagon? I mean, when was the last time she even stalked her precious John “Finn” Finnegan (Tanner Novlan)?
Perhaps the better question is where is Finn? Has he traded the cliff house for a dorm at the hospital? Has he even been onscreen since Christmas? Is he sitting on a bench somewhere with the likes of Bill Spencer (Don Diamont), Eric Forrester (John McCook), and Donna Logan (Jennifer Gareis)?
* Now Thomas, why would Douglas be afraid to tell you the truth? It’s not like you’ve ever grabbed him and threatened him to keep his mouth shut about a fact that would inconvenience you should it get out. Oh, wait! You did exactly that when Douglas caught you saying that baby Beth is alive. Father of the year you’re not and never will be.
* Three cheers for the ditching of that awful, awful wig that was forced upon Krista Allen. I’ve still yet to figure out why The Powers That Be at The Bold and the Beautiful thought it necessary to tress her in such a way. Taylor Hayes/Hunter Tylo rocked a hairstyle very similar to Allen’s for years.
The Bold and the Beautiful (BB) airs weekdays on CBS. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Los Angeles, check out all the latest that’s been posted on B&B spoilers, and for an in-depth look at the show’s history, click here.