Laura Wright was born Laura Alice Sisk in Clinton, Maryland. Laura changed her name to Wright when she married John Wright. Wright first caught the acting bug in the 8th grade, performing and directing in many middle school and high school productions. Later, she added commercials and modeling to her repertoire.
After graduating high school, Wright worked at her parents’ gas station. Talent agent Linda Townsend told Laura’s brother Jeff that his sister should be modeling, and that Loving was looking for someone like her. Her picture landed on the desks of casting directors Beth Wicki and Liz Woodward.
In 1991, Laura Wright found herself on the set of Loving as Ally Rescott. Wright credits castmate Bernie Barrow (ex-Louie) for getting her through the early days on the show, by helping her interpret the scene notes.
The show was canceled in 1995 but her character was transplanted on the new show The City until its demise in 1997.
Laura signed on to play Cassie Layne, a stripper who fell in love and married a prince, on Guiding Light. The part came with a lot of press and scenes opposite daytime legend Kim Zimmer (Reva Shayne). Wright held her own.
In 2005, Laura Wright took a risk and moved to Los Angeles, with her family in tow, to take on the fan-favorite role of Carly Corinthos on General Hospital.
The role was previously played by Sarah Joy Brown and Tamara Braun, both popular with fans. Wright quickly made the role her own and won the fans over, winning an Emmy in 2011.
General Hospital (GH) airs weekdays on ABC. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Port Charles, check out all the latest that’s been posted on General Hospital spoilers, and for an in-depth look at the show’s history, click here.
- Laura Wright was born on September 11, 1970.
- After high school, worked in her parents’ convenience store and managed a tanning salon.
- Joined the cast of Loving in 1991 after a theatrical agent in Maryland persuaded her to audition.
- Named one of TV GUIDE’s Rising Soap Stars in 1998 (and also appeared on the cover).
- Won the Soap Opera Digest Award for Best New Character in 1998 for her role as ex-stripper Cassie Layne on Guiding Light.
- Laura Wright was roommate and best friends with Kelly Ripa during her three years on Loving.
- Laura and her daughter Lauren got matching wrist tattoos for Lauren’s 18th birthday.