When it comes to General Hospital, every fan has their own opinion – and Soap Hub is no different. For five days, we sat and watched the good, the bad, and everything in between, and now we offer you a handy review, and a cheeky critique, of the GH week that was.
General Hospital: A Critic’s Week In Review
If you ignore the long list of things wrong with it, Luke Spencer’s (Tony Geary) memorial service was a hoot…but let’s dwell on the negatives.
It was a crying shame that General Hospital didn’t see fit to invite back one of the three actors who played Lucky Spencer. Ditto Robin Christopher’s Sky Quartermaine and Nathan Parson’s Ethan Lovett. Where were Elizabeth Webber (Rebecca Herbst), Lucy Coe (Lynn Herring), and Kevin Collins (Jon Lindstrom)? Sorry, but Curtis Ashford (Donnell Turner) was no substitute for the latter. (Just as an aside, is GH opposed to having Kevin show up and support Laura? Is he ever there when she really needs him?)
Why was General Hospital so stingy with flashbacks? Why did all the drama – like that brawl between Sonny Corinthos (Maurice Benard), Scott Baldwin (Kin Shriner), and Victor Cassadine (Charles Shaughnessy) – take place far, far away from The Haunted Star? Why were we denied Scott’s promised/threatened crashing of the event? Why tease us with the Ice Princess and then never show it?
And why did GH go out of its way to make it all about Carson? As if Luke really would have cared whether or not Carly Corinthos (Laura Wright) and Sonny Corinthos (Maurice Benard) got their marriage back on track.
Further GH Musings
* Did anyone else roll their eyes when Laura bemoaned the fact that Luke’s grandchildren wouldn’t get to know him? Luke thought he ran over and killed one of them, and he wasn’t particularly bothered by the fact. Grandfather of the Year he was never going to be.
* Has General Hospital stealthily retconned Pat Spencer and Valerie Spencer from existence? Notice Bobbie Spencer (Jacklyn Zeman) made no mention of her older sister during her chat with Carly.
* Is it just me, or did Harrison Chase’s (Josh Swickard) trashing of Brook Lynn Quartermaine’s (Amanda Setton) character seem to come out of nowhere?
* I’d really like to invest in this whole who’s gaslighting Liz storyline, but it’s hard to do so when I can’t be certain that the General Hospital writers themselves are invested in it.
* Perhaps it’s a good thing that Epiphany Johnson (Sonya Eddy) didn’t become a doctor, because despite being a fully qualified nurse, all she could think to do when Marshall (Robert Gossett) collapsed was stand around and scream his name over, and over, and over again.
* Sooooo, Anna Devane (Finola Hughes) is perfectly fine with Valentin Cassadine (James Patrick Stuart) revenging himself on Brook Lynn as long as said revenge isn’t too drastic…does that make sense to anyone?
General Hospital (GH) airs weekdays on ABC. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Port Charles, check out all the latest that’s been posted on GH spoilers, and for an in-depth look at the show’s history, click here.
Surprise, soap fans! You asked for more puzzles and we listened! Look forward to daily puzzles in our spoilers, recaps, and some extra special articles.