Soaps have to have antagonists or otherwise, the lives of heroes and heroines might be pretty dull! Since 1973, there have been some true amoral villains who’ve inflicted pain and strife upon the characters of The Young And The Restless! Here’s a countdown of five of YR’s most memorable bad guys!
5. Ian Ward (Ray Wise): Ian was a cult leader who seduced Nikki (Melody Thomas Scott) back in the day and he came back to town to terrorize her. The greatest tool in his arsenal is his charm.
When Ian “innocently” says, “Oh, Nicole,” when trying to trick Nikki is just plain scary! Not surprisingly, Wise won an Emmy for his role on YR.
4. Rose DeVille (Darlene Conley): Baby snatcher Rose’s surname was a bit on the spot given its similarity to Disney’s top dog snatcher, Cruella de Vil. We wouldn’t be surprised if, in fact, the two, despite the difference in spelling of their names, are related.
Rose manipulated Nina (Tricia Cast) into giving up her baby and told Cricket (Lauralee Bell) she’d had enough of her legal-talk when she tried to defend her friend!
3. George Curtis (Anthony Geary): Before becoming daytime TV’s most celebrated actor, Geary (ex-Luke, General Hospital), played rapist George on YR, attacking Chris Brooks (Trish Stewart). George was found not guilty of his heinous crime.
2. Veronica Landers (aka Sarah; played by Candice Daly): Nikki had married her doctor, Josh Landers (Heather Kizzier), and hired a new maid, Sarah. Nikki was unaware that Sarah was, in reality, Veronica.
She shot and killed Josh and then, she shot Nikki. Victor re-married Nikki on her “deathbed,” but the romantic gesture helped give her the will to live.
1. Sheila Carter (Kimberlin Brown): Sheila was a nurse who fell for Scott (Peter Barton) and became pregnant after seducing him. She lost the baby, but then kidnapped Lauren’s (Tracey Bregman) newborn Scotty, passing him off as her own.
Sheila replaced Scotty with another newborn whom Lauren named Dylan, who died. Sheila taunted Lauren over her agony. “Your dead baby isn’t always uppermost in my mind,” Sheila told Lauren, prompting the two women to have an all-out brawl in the hospital lab!
Who’s your favorite YR baddie? One of the above or someone we missed? Sound off in the comments below! The Young And The Restless airs weekdays on CBS. Check local listings for air times.