When it comes to General Hospital, every fan has their own opinion – and Soap Hub is no different. For five days, we sat and watched the good, the bad, and everything in between, and now we offer you a handy review, and a cheeky critique, of the GH week that was.
General Hospital: The Critic’s POV
This year’s Nurses Ball was not good. It wasn’t bad per se, and General Hospital should be commended for their efforts to bring back the fan-favorite event, but here’s hoping that next year they’ll be a whole lot more performances and a whole lot less of the characters aimlessly meandering around the ballroom set in want of something to do between acts.
Also, would it have killed the show’s wardrobe designers to better disguise the fact that 2/3 of the women were wearing dresses made from the same dang glittered fabric but in different colors?
And here are some more related questions/pointed (some minds even say biting) observations that danced through my mind during the week’s offerings:
* Brook Lynn (Amanda Setton) is in no way the heroine of her storyline.
* Given that we never saw the juggler or the llama onstage, what exactly was their purpose? Ditto, the chainsaws that had Maxie (Kirsten Storms) so darn flustered.
* If Victor (Charles Shaughnessy) really wanted to make Valentin (James Patrick Stuart) suffer, why didn’t he add Charlotte to his menagerie of hostages? With that in mind, where the Hell is Charlotte anyway?
* Kudos are due to James Patrick Stuart [Valentin Cassadine] for his original composition. As for Valentin and Anna’s (Finola Hughes) “act”…I reiterate, kudos to JPS for that song.
* Michael (Chad Duell) and Willow (Katelyn MacMullen) are poor substitutes for Britt and Brad (Parry Shen).
* Oh, great. Amnesiac Esme (Avery Kristen Pohl) just suffered a blow to the head. Cue returning memories in 5…4…3…2…
* So, Nina (Cynthia Watros) and Maxie are concerned about Liesl’s (Kathleen Gati) whereabouts, but not concerned as to miss out on any of the night’s acts?
* The luster has really rather worn off the whole “Sprina” pairing, yes?
* The tribute to Bobbie Spencer/Jacklyn Zeman was all well and good in the sense that General Hospital deigned to recognize the milestone at all, but wouldn’t it have been nice to see some flashbacks of Bobbie with her various husbands, with Lucas, and/or with Luke (Anthony Geary)?
* Wasn’t Drew (Cameron Mathison) asked to join the strip show? Where’s he at?
* What is the reason for those patronizing “To Be Continued” graphics that conclude every episode featuring the Nurses Ball?
* Why is Gladys (Bonnie Burroughs) so secure in her belief that her framing of Cody (Josh Kelly) is going to hold water? As if the Metro Court doesn’t have cameras at every corner, as if the other men in the dance routine can’t testify that Cody was with them from the time they stepped backstage, and as if this in any way can prevent Cody from ratting her behind out to Mac (John J. York).
That said, this plot point has really got me thinking less of Sasha (Sofia Mattsson) and Cody. And to top it off, seconds after Cody was cuffed and escorted out of the building, Sasha and Gladys were back in the ballroom in time to celebrate Bobbie’s anniversary and the big Lucy-is-alive reveal. Really?!
* Why is that big slab of beefcake Yuri (Cyrus Hobbi) taking nearly all his clothes off without Terry (Cassandra James) — you know, his girlfriend and General Hospital’s Chief of Staff — there to enjoy the show?
General Hospital airs weekdays on ABC. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Port Charles, check out all the latest GH spoilers, and for an in-depth look at the show’s history, click here.
For more about what’s happening on your favorite soaps, join the conversation over on our Facebook Page, check out our Twitter feed, or look for an update on our Instagram stories. See you over there!